Happy Birthday, NOEW! This year marks the tenth anniversary of New Orleans Entrepreneur Week gracing the city (along with its residents and visitors). Since its inception in 2009, New Orleans Entrepreneur Week has offered a week-long series of events celebrating business, innovation, and entrepreneurship in New Orleans. In keeping with The Shop’s goal of fostering creative talent while making an entrepreneurial impact on our city, we’re proud to host some of this year’s festivities and serve as a main creative hub for attendees along with the Contemporary Arts Center.
Since this year’s lineup is packed with insightful panels, keynotes, and competitions, mapping out your schedule might seem as daunting as, you know, starting your own small business. But luckily for you, NOEW is here to soothe any qualms about making the leap into the entrepreneurial realm. And The Shop at the CAC is here to highlight a few must-sees during the six-day conference.
Take a look through our suggestions below and view the full city-wide schedule here.
Sunday, March 18
IDEAcorps | 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- The IDEAcorps MBA Consulting Challenge, in partnership with The Idea Village, gives MBA students the opportunity to work with a real startup to solve a problem the founding entrepreneur is facing. Teams work over four days to scope the problem, validate a solution, and give the entrepreneur a plan that can have real-world results and impact. Teams are judged by a panel of local business leaders on how far they have “moved the needle” for the founder and company.
Monday, March 19
Economic Inclusion and and Capital Strategies for Small Businesses | 10:45 AM – 12:00 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- JPMorgan Chase is committed to strengthening the small business ecosystem with a particular focus on increasing opportunity for women, veterans, and entrepreneurs of color. This event will provide a deeper dive on strategies that increase engagement of these focus populations and promote capital strategies that drive equity.
Marketing Tips for Today | 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM | Contemporary Arts Center
- Learn the small steps you can take now to have an incredible digital impact in attracting (and retaining) customers.
Launch NOLA: Side Hustle to Main Hustle Pitch Competition | 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- Launch NOLA, an initiative of THRIVE New Orleans, is having a pitch competition for graduates of their Business Academy. Come cheer on local small business entrepreneurs who are working hard to fulfill their dreams and vote for the People’s Choice Award.
Tuesday, March 20
NOLA Health Innovators Challenge Pitch Finale | 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- Judges have chosen finalists from around the country for the Diabetes Care Challenge, and these top entrepreneurs will pitch their digital solutions on how new technologies can transform health outcomes for all Louisianans for the chance to win up to $36,000 and numerous in-kind prizes. NOLABA will also present the winners of Tulane Health System’s Navigator Challenge and Lafayette General Foundation’s Interoperability Challenge.
Women Entrepreneur Fellowship | 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- Junior League of New Orleans (JLNO) believes that increasing women’s business opportunities improves the local economy. JLNO created the Woman Entrepreneur Fellowship. which supports a selected female business owner with mentoring and in-kind services. Competition finalists will pitch for a chance to receive a JLNO fellowship as well as a grant for $7,500. Speakers include Eileen Chao, Founder and Owner of Interview Ready Now.
Wednesday, March 21
Downtown NOLA Arts-Based Business Pitch | 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- This pitch is aimed at identifying and supporting entrepreneurs that have a scalable arts-based project situated in the creative, architecture, technology, digital media, or film/entertainment fields that benefits Downtown NOLA. Local arts-based entrepreneurs compete for a prize package value at over $40,000 in cash and in-kind services.
Chamber After 5: NOEW Celebration | 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM | Ogden Museum of Southern Art
- Join The Idea Village and the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce for a special edition of Chamber After 5! Join us at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art to celebrate the conclusion of the city-wide pitch events held by partners and to kick off the NOEW Summit. Complimentary hors d’ouevres and wine, beer, & non-alcoholic beverages will be served.
Thursday, March 22
Lean Startup: It’s Harder Than It Sounds | 10:15 AM – 10:45 AM | French Market Coffee Stage at NOEW HQ
- This session reviews some of the key Lean Startup principles, common pitfalls in execution of them, and ways to avoid those pitfalls. Examples from real-world companies are provided to help you understand how to balance Lean Startup framework ideals with the realities of building and growing a successful business.
A Candid Convo About Diversity and Entrepreneurship | 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM | Ochsner Stage at NOEW HQ
- Hear candid conversation from past PowerMoves fellows and other local entrepreneurs of color as they talk openly about diversity and entrepreneurship. This discussion will be featured as a live episode on The Distillery podcast. Speakers include Damon Burns (Executive Director of the Finance Authority of New Orleans, Leona Christy (Founder and CEO of Catalyst: Ed), Crystal McDonald (Founder and CEO of Acrew), Iam Tucker (CEO of ILSI Engineering), and Sevetri Wilson (CEO of ExemptMeNow).
Happy Hour | 6:30 PM – 8 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- Cap off a day of awesome NOEW programming with a special happy hour. Grab a drink, mingle, and continue the conversation at our coworking space.
Friday, March 23
The Art of Engagement: Using Social Media to Build Customer Relationships | 10:15 AM – 10:45 AM | French Market Coffee Stage at NOEW HQ
- Learn how to build meaningful relationships with thought leaders in your digital community, understand your audience and become part of conversations that matter to them, and brainstorm ways to turn social media engagement into real-world action. Speakers include Jeff Januszek (Founder of Jeff Januszek Social Media)
Sister Hearts Film Screening | 12:00 PM – 12:45 PM | The Shop at the CAC
- SisterHearts, is the fourth film in Square’s ‘For Every Kind of Dream’ series, which documents the dreams of small business owners in America. The businesses and entrepreneurs’ stories featured speak to a fundamental belief that dreams can be achieved when we empower people with access to the right tools. Speakers include Erin Archuleta (Lead of SMB Education Initiatives at Square) and Maryam Henderson-Uloho (Founder of SisterHearts).
Grow Your Business in 2018: Entrepreneur Exchange | 2:30 PM – 4:00 PM | Contemporary Arts Center
- Get real insights from local entrepreneurs who have been in your shoes and know how to take your business to the next level.